PROTECTED STRUCTURE: The Provost, Fellows, Foundation Scholars and the other members of the Board of the College of the Holy and Undivided Trinity of Queen Elizabeth near Dublin, intend to apply for permission for development at the Old Library (a Protected Structure ) and Berkeley Library (a Protected Structure) Trinity College Dublin, The University of Dublin, College Green, Dublin 2. The development will consist of refurbishment, demolitions, alterations, introduction of building services and fire protection measures to both to the Old Library (a Protected Structure, RPS 2004) and Berkeley Library (a Protected Structure, RPS 2005), below-ground additions beneath Fellows' Square with a new entrance structure, reconfiguring of external stairs and ramps, and change of use of part of the podium interior from ancillary library use to tourism use. This application seeks permission for the following works:
1. Works to the Old Library (a Protected Structure) to include:
• External Works: Removal of non-historic steps, ramp and guardrail at Fellows' Square entrance, and replacement of the non-historic door with fire-exit doors ; Removal of the existing steps at the Library Square entrance and replacement of the ary Podium; Refurbishment of historic facades, windows and roof, replacement of rooflight glazing and provision of new ventilation louvres.
• Substructure Works; Underpinning of section of the existing building to provide for new services connection to Ground Floor Arcade, West and East Pavilion and new basement under the East Pavilion and modified link to the Berkeley Library and to 1937 Reading Room.
• Long Room- Removal of non-historic central stair, introduction of trench-heating grilles in floor and extract air slot in gallery level alcove vaults, replacement of linoleum floor covering and window blinds, providing new natural light controls , insertion of new fire-resisting doors to East and West Pavilions retaining historic doors, replacement of rope lines with new exhibition information plates, general refurbishment works. Relocation of existing lift access doors from East Pavilion within the Long Room. Replacement of non-historic door at gallery level to East Pavilion with door to historic design.
• Ground Floor Arcade - Removal and modification of non-historic floor, retaining and relocating surviving areas of historic paving, removal of mezzanine, shelving, library storage and partitions in the ground floor area to allow for new circulation strategy and configuration of rooms. Modification of 1 no. historic opening and forming 1 no. new opening in historic fabric. Provision of new central spine wall and new service risers. Provision of new raised floor and services floor zone to the South of 'spine wall'. Relocation of reading rooms from upper floors to new Research Collection Study Centre to the north side of spine wall and new Book of Kells exhibition to the south of spine wall. Provision of new services, partitions, ceilings, floor finishes and sanitary facilities; Relocation of 2 no. previously moved historic doorsets.
• Interventions to West Pavilion- Replacement of the non-historic service stair and lift; Enlargement of previously relocated door opening, provision of new door openings to service stair and lift core on all levels (total 6 no. new and 1 no modified door openings in historic fabric); Closing access to early twentieth-century stair to basement level and provision of floor access hatch (connection to 1937 Reading Room); Replacement of earlier steel supporting structure to grand stair to improved detail; Reinstatement of floor finish to historic detail; Reconfiguration of ground floor and first floor rooms to integrate new lift with new steps, accessible toilet and security room at ground floor; Removal of non-historic partitions, wall, floor and ceiling finishes at second and third floors and provision of arrangement including removal of concrete third-floor slab, provision of new timber floor, sanitary facilities and services; Provision of plantroom to house new air-handling units (AHUs) in roof space, retaining historic trussed structure.
• Interventions to East Pavil... Signup to read full development description
(no card required)